Wednesday 22 July 2009

Something Old ... Something New ....

My colleague Paul is getting married to his fiancee Claire this Friday; so what better excuse did I need to buy some of the fabulous new WOJ wedding collection stamps, and then set about making my first ever wedding card?

I felt quite a sense of responsibility making a wedding card as I hope that they will keep it as part of their wedding memories; so I agonized for ages over the papers, layout etc. I had craftily tried to find out, through casual conversation, the the colours of the bride's dress, wedding flowers, groom's suit etc .... not easy when it's the groom you're talking to lol!! Anyhow I did my best and eventually was pretty pleased with the result.


I used the stunning new WOJ "Willow" and "Oakley" wedding stamps, and tried some masking to get them standing close together (aww!). Knowing that the colour theme I was looking for was pink and ivory, I was fortunate in that I had some wedding theme papers in those colours which had come free with Creative Cardmaking magazine.

Here's a pic that shows the shimmer on the bride's dress and groom's waistcoat, which I achieved by painting with Twinkling H2O's in oyster and iridescent gold. The glimmer is actually quite subtle - just when it catches the light.


I also roughly painted the flowers with the H20's in iridescent gold, which made them quite twinkly.

I'd like to enter this card for this week's Creative Inspirations Challenge #13 which is

Something old, something new ...

I have interpreted this broadly as being a wedding card; but if we need to be literal then here goes ...

Something Old - pink & cream wedding papers from issue 3 of Creative Cardmaking magazine

Something New - Willow, Oakley and sentiment stamps by Whiff of Joy, and my MS Valentine Hearts punch
Something Borrowed - the idea of masking the bride so that you can still see the groom through her veil - from the lovely Rach's blog (example here)
Something Blue - this was me last night, as I only finished this card at 12.20am lol!!

Here's a peek at the inside....

Recipe:
Main image: Whiff of joy "Wedding Collection", Willow the Bride and Oakley the groom, coloured with watercolour pencils and Twinkling H20's;
Sentiments: from the WOJ "Wedding Sayings" collection;
Papers: K&Co (cream script paper); others free with Creative Cardmaking magazine;
Supplies: pink & white flowers from Poppicrafts (a birthday present from my friend Helen), painted with H2O's; paper roses from Hobbycraft; crocheted ribbon from Quixotic Paperie; charm from Dolls Made Up; leaves punched with Leone Em Ash Branch punch; edges punched with MS Valentine Hearts punch; pearls from my stash.

Having made this card I also managed to make my first ever box to put it in, so it wouldn't get squashed. No photo of that as I left it plain, but I'm now thinking I will want to make more boxes in future!

18 comments:

Helen said...

Beautiful! Love the way you've masked and coloured the image...and the shimmer on the flowers!
Helen x

Happy Crafter said...

Gorgeous card i'm sure it will be treasured :)
Hugzz Val xxx

gina g said...

Lovely card Pauline they will love. luv gina xx

Francesca said...

Wonderful card , love all the shimmer

Hugs

Francesca x

PinksyDoodles said...

This is stunning! I am sure the happy couple will keep it forever.
Clare x

debby4000 said...

Oh wow this is gorgeous and beautiful shimmer on her dress. I'm sure this card will be treasured forever.
luv
Debby

Vee said...

Wow! what a stunning card. I love these images too they are gorgeous. I really like the irredecent effect with the H20's very nicely done.
xx Vee

Riet said...

What a beautiful card Pauline,l love the image and colours.
So gorgeous papers.

Hugs Riet.x

Lovely Linda said...

Hello Pauline, I love this Wedding card and I am sure the couple will treasure it! All of the touches that make a card yours are just so gorgeous....there is so much to look at and to savour...Pauline, your work is stunning!! Perfect card for the challenge too!! Thank you for sharing....and for inspiring!! By the way, a little parcel came today - it is on my BLOG!! God bless you my friend!

Tammy said...

WOW! This is absolutely gorgeous Pauline!! The happy couple is going to love it!

Tammy x

LOUISE said...

Fantastic card Pauline, great take on the Challenge. Love your "Blue" part, put a smile on my face! Thanks for joining us on Creative Inspirations Challenge, and good luck. Louise x

Sharon Traynor Designs said...

Wow! This is awesome. Such a beautiful card. Everything is so subtle - even the gorgeous shimmer.
Sharon xx

Kaz said...

WOW WOW WOW what a stunning card! Love the shimmer, the whole thing is just so pretty!
Kaz xx

MarkerGeek said...

Stunning! So soft and pretty, I love it!

Sue said...

Oh my gosh Pauline, this turned out so beautiful. The bridal couple will keep this one forever.
The heart charm is a great touch and that Shine is awesome. Beautiful, inside and out.

crafty amy said...

wow this is stunning I lve the way you have layered the images.
Thank you for putting in to join us at stampin' for the weekend and good luck.

X Amy X

Kimmi said...

Hi Paula,
could you please send me an email - dragon_spirit19@hotmail.com

Thanks, I cant seem to find yours on your blog.

Kimmi x

Alysabeth said...

Lovin the pearls and shimmer:o)